Fly Fishing Guiding
The area offers pristine fly fishing in the Karoo. To take full advantage of the opportunities, it is advised to use the assistance of a guide. Whether you are an experienced fly fisher or novice, the day will be structured to suit your individual needs.
The cost of daily guided fly fishing for day visitors is as follows:
- 1 fisherman: R 1950.00 per day
- 2 fishermen: R 1400.00 per person per day
- 3 - 4 fishermen: R 1000.00 per person per day
- Observer fee: R 250.00 per person per day (includes lunch & drinks)
- More than 4 fishermen: Rates to be discussed
- 1/2 day | 1 - 4 fishermen (4 hours): R 1000.00 per person
- Guiding to our Trophy dam requires travelling a little further; there will be a R 500 fuel levy added to the guiding cost.
Content of Guiding
The following items are included in the cost of guiding:
- Tackle if required, waders are strongly suggested, in order to enjoy the full experience in the area
- Daily rod fees
- Briefing of waters, benefit of local knowledge
- Assistance to set up tackle, if required
- Providing a better understanding of the local habitat, entomology and fish behaviour
- Discussing tactics, fly selection, techniques, playing, landing and releasing fish
- Being positioned in the most promising position to achieve success
- Promoting and creating awareness of R.E.F.F.I.S. and FOSAF
- Transport to and from waters in the Somerset East area
- Snacks (1/2 day) / packed lunch (full day) and soft drink or water
- All flies and tippet material
- All equipment is included in the above rates, should you require it.
- The client must make the guide aware of any medical condition or allergies prior to the fishing excursion.
Casting or fly tying instruction
R 300.00 per person for the first hour, and R 150 per hour or part thereof thereafter.
First calss yellow fishing is available, and clinics are arranged for 4 or more people. Access is available only with Alan Hobson. Fees are charged at R 700 per person per day for the clinic, with lunch included. Should individual guiding be required, the normal guiding rates will apply. Beverages and transport are not included in the rate.
Suggested tackle / equipment requirements:
- 2/4 weight rod with matching reel & rated line for small stream fishing
- 5/6 weight rod with matching reel & rated line for still water trout and yellowfish
- 6/7 weight rod with matching reel & rated line for black bass fishing
- 8/9 weight rod with matching reel & rated line for barbel fishing
- Generally, a 5/6 weight rod will allow one to target all 9 species of the area. We would recommend having both floating and sinking lines.
- Waders - Essential to get the maximum benefit from our waters
- Species specific fly selection
- Hook sharpner / debarber
- Fly floatant
- Headlight / torch
- Split shot / lead putty
- Strike indicators
- Multipurpose knife tool
- Tippet Material
- Hat / cap
- Polarised sunglasses
- Landing net
- Clothing: Wading boots, waders, waterproof jacket, warm jersey / jacket, flyvest/rucksack/chest pack to carry all of your equipment.
Feel free to browse the fly shop for any items that you may need.